Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
pu is, at the moment, a book
01-01-2013, 05:43 AM
pu is, at the moment, a book
Among the piles of speculation was a wiki entry where jan Sonja said something like, "sina kama jo e pu" meant "you have the new toki pona book". I'm too lazy to track down the reference, but it is in the talk section on the wiki.

From correspondence, this is the one jan Sonja meant.

Impact: very little because "book" wasn't difficult to say before. Book is lipu mute, so we can save 3 syllables. lipu mute and pu are both content words (or phrases). Am I missing any other uses?

apeja and pake, as far as I know are still not on the official list and still are apocryphal.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-01-2013, 08:47 AM
RE: pu is, at the moment, a book
mi toki e nimi Inli 'pu' tawa ni. tenpo mute pini la nimi 'pu' li kama sona e ijo mute lon insa lawa pi jan Sonja. taso tenpo ni kama la nimi ni li sona e sitelen pi sona ala e kepeken pi nasin toki taso. mi pilin e ni: tenpo suli mute la jan Sonja li weka. tenpo ni la ona li weka e nasin pi toki pona tan insa lawa ona. ona li pali e sona pi nimi ni tan kon li pilin ala e ijo pi wile toki. jan Sonja li toki e ijo. taso ni li pini ala.
01-01-2013, 08:56 AM
(01-01-2013 08:47 AM)janKipo Wrote:  mi toki e nimi Inli 'pu' tawa ni. tenpo mute pini la nimi 'pu' li kama sona e ijo mute lon insa lawa pi jan Sonja. taso tenpo ni kama la nimi ni li sona e sitelen pi sona ala e kepeken pi nasin toki taso. mi pilin e ni: tenpo suli mute la jan Sonja li weka. tenpo ni la ona li weka e nasin pi toki pona tan insa lawa ona. ona li pali e sona pi nimi ni tan kon li pilin ala e ijo pi wile toki. jan Sonja li toki e ijo. taso ni li pini ala.

I need some translation practice...

"I say the English word "Pu" (maybe Winnie the?) for this. A long time ago, the word "pu" came to mean many things in the head of jan Sonja. But for the arriving now, this word means the symbol of no meaning, it means the usage of the speaking way alone (??). I think in a long time, jan Sonja might move on (to other things). Now she takes the grammar of toki pona from her mind. She works the words meanings from air, she doesn't feel the things of linguistic desires (??). jan Sonja has said things, but this isn't the end."

Yup, I got two reasons not to do too much with pu-- it isn't finalized and it isn't often useful, should it only mean some sort of book.
01-01-2013, 10:16 AM
Gist about right. 'pu' as in feces, "for a long time" (but maybe that is 'tenpo pini suli', I forget) 'until now, it meant a mark with no meaning, only used for a manner of speaking (OK, you figure how to say "punctuation"). For a long time, Sonja has been away. Now she has forgotten the ways of toki pona (thrown them out of her brain). she makes the meaning out of air and does not think about the needs of the language.
01-02-2013, 03:07 PM
(01-01-2013 05:43 AM)janmato Wrote:  Among the piles of speculation was a wiki entry where jan Sonja said something like, "sina kama jo e pu" meant "you have the new toki pona book". I'm too lazy to track down the reference, but it is in the talk section on the wiki.

From correspondence, this is the one jan Sonja meant.

Impact: very little because "book" wasn't difficult to say before. Book is lipu mute, so we can save 3 syllables. lipu mute and pu are both content words (or phrases). Am I missing any other uses?

apeja and pake, as far as I know are still not on the official list and still are apocryphal.

Apologies, but what do apeja and pake translate to in English?