Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Is toki pona an Isolating Monocategorial Associational language?
01-03-2013, 09:14 AM (This post was last modified: 01-03-2013 09:16 AM by janKipo.)
RE: Is toki pona an Isolating Monocategorial Associational language?
Isolating: sure: no word-internal significant structure at all. (I wouldn't say pi and e *attach* to words, there is no change of any sort involved in their sequencing. ditto li, which precedes the verb -- which may happen to be modal in use, but there is no modal class, per se).

monocategorial: well, yes, except for li, pi, e, la maybe a and mu (and we know that pi, at least, was once more open to variation). I doubt that any language is completely without some special words.

Associational. yes, except for prepositional phrases, which behave slightly differently, I think, the only semantic connections are juxtaposition, distinguished only by left and right grouping, without that difference being semantically significant. The pattern works equally well for noun and verb phrases.

Maybe we should be trying to teach tp to chimps, as a step toward Planet of the Apes.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Is toki pona an Isolating Monocategorial Associational language? - janKipo - 01-03-2013 09:14 AM